- Welcome to the tutorial.
- This is a simple guide to editing on HFA-Pedia. If you would like to see a list of help topics instead, try this help index.
What is HFA-Pedia?
- HFA-Pedia is a collection of disaster risk reduction community-built web pages focusing on the tendencies and progress being made towards implementing the Hyogo Framework for Action, that can be consulted and edited by any registered visitor.
How do I register?
- It's free, and very easy. Click on the 'Log in / create account' link in the top right-hand corner of any page, then Click the 'Create new account' button.
- Fill in your chosen user name (remember, this user name will be displayed for all your edits) and password. Type in your password again in the 'Retype password' box. Add your email to complete your registration and receive your confirmation. Your email address will allow us to assist you in the case that you may forget your password.
What can I do here?
- Don't be afraid to edit - anyone can edit almost any page, and we encourage you to have a go! Find something of interest to you related to disaster risk reduction that can be added and go ahead. If the page you are looking for does not currently exist, you can create your own page with information of interest on that topic, allowing others to consult and add on with their own input, and even monitor and revise the changes being made. HFA-Pedia also allows online dialogue through our hfa-pedia:Community Portal, where contributors can discuss changes being made and related initiatives in their countries or sectors of focus.
- You can't break HFA-Pedia. Erroneous entries can be fixed or altered later. So go ahead, create your own page or find a page to edit. For more help on how to edit, continue with this tutorial.
Where can I edit?
- Click the edit tag in the upper part of any page to add more information or change its contents. You can edit any page where the edit tab is visible (remember that you must be registered in order for this tag to be visible). Upon making the changes you feel are appropriate, click on the 'Show preview' button below to review your changes prior to saving them. Once you are sure that the changes are indeed how you intend them to be, click on 'Save page' to implement your edits. The changes you make will show on that page as soon as you click Save page.
- Pages that start with 'User:' are personal user pages. We ask that you consider this carefully prior to making major changes to another user's page as these are more of an individual nature.
- Some other editing tips:
- Describe your edit in the Summary box. This is between the edit window and the bottom row of grey buttons. You only need to type a short message here, for example added introduction.
- Remeber to use the 'Show preview' button to check your edit before saving and especially to save your preview before moving on or these changes will be lost. If you are logged in, you can mark an edit as minor by checking the 'This is a minor edit' box. This lets other editors know your edit is very small (such as grammar for example).
Make your first edit right now in a Practice page, This brings you to the edit page: a page with a text box for typing in your desired text.
- Type a message
- Click 'Show preview' to check what you have written
- Click 'Save page' to save your writing
- the editable code from which the server produces the finished page is often called the edit box.
- That's all you need to know to start editing. However, if you would like to learn more about how to format your text, go to toolbar in this page for details on the use of the edit toolbar.
Type your changes
- You can just type your text. However, also using basic wiki markup to make links and do simple formatting adds to the value of your contribution. If you follow these, your contributions will be more valuable as they won't need to be cleaned up later. Use the tips in the page lists to learn how to improve the presentation of your text: indent text, bulleted lists and numbered lists. For information about editing, links or uploading documents, see each respective page editing, formatting and Upload File.
Preview before saving!
- When you have finished, click Show preview to see how your changes will look before you make them permanent. Repeat the edit/preview process until you are satisfied, then click Save page and your changes will be immediately applied to the article. Sometimes it is also helpful to save from time to time while making changes.
Creating a table
- Note: To facilitate navigation in HFA-Pedia, we recommend opening this tutorial in a separate window by holding down the "shift" key while clicking on this link